Monday, March 10, 2014

3 Blogs/Resources for Instructional Design Info


            I was recently talking with Sarah Gilbert, owner of meLearning—a mobile training and development company, at an ASTD meeting. She was telling me that she likes to get most of her information from blogs and microblogs like Twitter because they give you the most up-to-date information. Meanwhile books can take a long time to read and may be outdated. It’s true in many cases. Things move that fast in the mobile world (Personal Communication, February 12, 2014).

To help me get more into designing for mobile, I use a blog by RJ Jacquez called “The mLearning Revolution.” The mLearning revolution covers a lot of technical considerations that need to be addressed in order to design well for mobile devices. One of the articles is about the new Kindle Fire, and how it is quietly reintroducing Flash. Jacquez argues that since the newer browsers are moving away from pulg-ins. The blog link is here:  http://rjacquez.com/

Instructional design is not just about the technology, however, but the experience of the learner that needs to be created with and for them. Enter Cathy Moore.  Cathy Moore’s blog states that training need not be boring. Also, one article reminds us that learning is not about what the learner needs to know, but what they need to DO! She also has some practical entries on how to get into ID, which I’m using now to help me get into training and development. Find Cathy Moores’ blog here: http://blog.cathy-moore.com/

Finally, a good article or two on the science of learning from a neuroscience standpoint, or catching up on the latest best practices of IDs everywhere can be found on the website for The Learning Solutions Magazine. What’s great about this site is that you don’t just get one opinion or writer, like on a blog, but many voices all at the top of what they do. It also gives information on upcoming conferences and notable authors. Find the Learning Solutions Mag here: http://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/

What blogs do you rely upon for your ID information? Be sure to check out the links and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Site : http://rjacquez.com/

    I found this on Nathaniel’s blog, after reviewing the site I found it very useful when it comes to mobile learning. As a person that works in an education setting and since we have all the high school students use laptops. I am always wanting to find out more information about how I can help the teachers bring smart phones use into the classroom setting. I find this site very useful because of the various posts about how we need to evolve and change in the future of learning. This site will give me ideas of using various forms of M-Learning to enhance some areas that I have ideas in at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading Nathaniel's blog, I decided to choose http://blog.cathy-moore.com because of all of the resources available to IDs. There is excellent information for webinars and virtual training which I know will help me to excel in this class and for my future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nezeree,

      I have read some Cathy Moore blog posts and her posts are brilliant! I am also enjoying Nathaniel's posts very much! Another blog, I follow and enjoy is Bonnie Held!

      Delete